Health & Safety Specialist
Job Location: Chicago, IL
Ferrero is a family-owned company with a truly progressive and global outlook and iconic brands such as Nutella®, Tic Tac®, Ferrero Rocher®, Raffaello®, Kinder Bueno® and Kinder Surprise®. As the love for our brands continues to grow, so too does our global reach. Represented in 55 countries, with products sold in more than 170, the Ferrero Group is loved by generations around the world. The secret to our global success? Nearly 35,000 dedicated employees who celebrate care and quality to craft a business, careers and brands we are proud of. Join us, and you could be one of them.
Ferrero is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture in which all employees feel welcomed and appreciated and have the same opportunities. We believe all of our people are equally talented in their own way. In nurturing the curiosity and natural abilities of our employees, we provide them, generation after generation, the means to succeed personally and professionally, enabling them to craft their journey at Ferrero. The diversity of our talents is what makes our work environment multicultural, innovative and highly rewarding.
About the Role:
The purpose of this position is to oversee the development, implementation and management of the site Health and safety systems to ensure regulatory compliance and to achieve continuous improvement in terms of performance and cost effectiveness. Supports plant Operations by educating employees and administering and monitoring safety, health systems and procedures to ensure the health and safety of all personnel working in the facility. Promotes organizational compliance with all health and safety regulations.
Training and Development
• Develop site specific training programs for Lock Out Tag Out, Aerial Work Platforms, Fall Arrest, WHMIS, Forklift (Power Walkie, Narrow Isle, Reach Truck), Crane, and others
• Conduct New Hire Orientation – ensure new hires are fully trained in policies and procedures before entering facility
WSIB Claims Management
• Manage the claim from initial injury until closed by WSIB
• Correspond with Doctor, Adjudicator, and injured employee for claim updates, cost relief factors, appeals, and other
Return to Work
• Work with injured employee and Supervisor to assign adequate duties that work within employees restrictions from Dr. (FAF) for safe and early return to work – to ensure zero lost time
• Monitor employees progression and ensure that employees continue to improve on their modified duties until they are fit to return to full duties
• Work with Return to Work Specialist from WSIB to ensure modified duties are adequate and approved by Adjudicator for employee
Daily Safety Concerns
• Handle any Safety concerns that arise from unsafe machinery or work
• Correct unsafe work practices daily (Forklift operators not wearing seat belts or using horn) and ensuring proper procedures are followed and Safe Work Practices
• Support to all employees on items that need attention in regards to safety
Joint Health and Safety Committee
• Hold monthly safety meetings for JHSC to discuss safety issues within the facility
• Conduct Building Audits to find safety hazards and improper work procedures
• Work with members on Work Refusals and various issues that are present (PSR’s)
• Sign off on Pre-Start Reviews and Lock Out Tag out Procedures to Commission machinery
Injury/ Incident/ Hazard Analysis and Investigations
• Investigate major incidents for severity and frequency
• Data entry of all incidents that occur within Ferrero for reports and monitoring
• Develop monthly, yearly, departmental reports for management and supervisors to review
• Recommend to maintenance and management solutions on hazards with machinery, work stations, and vehicles
• Analyze injury for root cause to eliminate it from occurring again
• Collect information on training, discipline, injuries on every employee within Ferrero and organize them accordingly
• Up date the Safety Boards for current events, policies, and training
• Organize all documents for WSIB audits and MOL inspections
• Manage MSDS System in facility
• Ensure that products on the floor are properly stored (Flammables in flammable cabinets and chemicals are not together if they are reactive to one another)
• Ensure that we have proper storage for chemicals and that fire cabinets are grounded and in a secure area with proper drainage
• Ensure that employees have proper Personal Protective Equipment to use the chemicals so their health is not in danger (i.e. glasses, respirators, gloves)
Who we are looking for:
Bachelors degree required
4 - 7 years of relevant experience
Level 1 and 2 Certification
Demonstrated knowledge of federal, provincial and local regulations (i.e., OHSA, WSIB/WCB, EPA).
Post secondary education within a Health & Safety discipline
Strong computer skills with MS Office programs
Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation and facilitation skills.
Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and problem solving skills.
Strong investigative, analytical, human relations and communication skills
How to be successful in the role and at Ferrero:
Consumers, quality and care are at the heart of everything we do. So, to be successful at Ferrero, you’ll need to be just as consumer and product centric as we are - dedicated to crafting brilliant results for consumers around the world.