Packaging Innovation Specialist
Job Location: Chicago
Ferrero is a family-owned company with a truly progressive and global outlook and iconic brands such as Nutella®, Tic Tac®, Ferrero Rocher®, Raffaello®, Kinder Bueno® and Kinder Surprise®. As the love for our brands continues to grow, so too does our global reach. Represented in more than 50 countries, with products sold in more than 170, the Ferrero Group is loved by generations around the world. The secret to our global success? 38,767 dedicated employees who celebrate care and quality to craft a business, careers and brands we are proud of. Join us, and you could be one of them.
Ferrero is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture in which all employees feel welcomed and appreciated and have the same opportunities. We believe all of our people are equally talented in their own way. In nurturing the curiosity and natural abilities of our employees, we provide them, generation after generation, the means to succeed personally and professionally, enabling them to craft their journey at Ferrero. The diversity of our talents is what makes our work environment multicultural, innovative and highly rewarding.
About the Role:
Come join Ferrero’s Packaging Open Innovation team where we scout and develop breakthrough novel packaging technologies!
The role of the Packaging Innovation Specialist is to provide Open Innovation support for lab testing, prototypes, and owning the lab space. Responsible for test reports and collaborating with Open Innovation Managers (Packaging and Toys, etc.) as well as external innovation partners (scouting, IP review, etc.). A successful candidate will be comfortable running the open innovation packaging lab equipment as well as being a creative problem solver who likes to discover new technologies.
- Scout novel packaging innovation from the market and utilize to create new formulations / concepts.
- Prototype packaging materials and system by using lab instruments.
- Coordinate trials and connections with external/internal partners.
- Operate CAD and CAM software as part of prototyping workflow to support breakthrough toy and packaging development.
- Be a key ally to the N. America Innovation center, Strategy & Innovation teams by effectively contributing to all relevant Innovation projects.
- Understand, plan, prepare, execute and report packaging performance test requests through packaging lab activities. (Conduct packaging testing)
- Update supervisor with test schedules and reports.
- Perform Lab instruments routine maintenance.
- Maintain a tidy and clean lab environment.
Other ad hoc duties as assigned
Who we are looking for:
- BS degree in Chemistry, Material Science, Polymer Science, Mechanical-Packaging Engineering, Chemical Engineering, and/or related fields
- Minimum of 6 months internship experience in Packaging, Innovation, R&D, and/or development experience in a CPG and/or Multi-national corporation
- Strong scientific knowledge in Material Science (physical and chemical properties of polymers), Packaging Innovation, Material Engineering, but willing to extend scope of work beyond area of expertise
- Experience in a relevant CAD, CAM software, and prototyping workflow (3D printing, small component assemblies “toys”).
- Strong business acumen with superior oral and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic, curious, proactive, analytical, open-minded, and patient with a “can-do” attitude and a strategic mind-set
- Strong attitude to connect external and internal stakeholders toward a synergistic approach to complex packaging projects
- Self-driven and capable of dealing with unstructured and emerging environments
- Critical thinking and Creative problem solving
- Experience with proactive laboratory piloting
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint
- Occasional lifting may be required (<=25 kg)
Ferrero N.A. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
How to be successful in the role and at Ferrero:
Consumers, quality and care are at the heart of everything we do. So, to be successful at Ferrero, you’ll need to be just as consumer and product centric as we are - dedicated to crafting brilliant results for consumers around the world.
Strong analytical mind, attention to details on one hand, and ability to cooperate with employees at all levels and great organisational skills on the other, would be key to success. Employee contribution and engagement at Ferrero is based on the individual, team and organisation dimension, so you should have the ability to work independently, as a part of the team and build good relations with stakeholders at all levels. Being flexible and dealing with a dynamic working environment as well as the ability to embed new knowledge and skills in existing competencies will definitely help you to become high performer here.