Franklin Park, IL
Ferrero is a family-owned company with a truly progressive and global outlook and iconic brands such as Nutella®, Tic Tac®, Ferrero Rocher®, Raffaello®, Kinder Bueno® and Kinder Surprise®. As the love for our brands continues to grow, so too does our global reach. Represented in more than 50 countries, with products sold in more than 170, the Ferrero Group is loved by generations around the world. The secret to our global success? 38,767 dedicated employees who celebrate care and quality to craft a business, careers and brands we are proud of. Join us, and you could be one of them.
Ferrero is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture in which all employees feel welcomed and appreciated and have the same opportunities. We believe all of our people are equally talented in their own way. In nurturing the curiosity and natural abilities of our employees, we provide them, generation after generation, the means to succeed personally and professionally, enabling them to craft their journey at Ferrero. The diversity of our talents is what makes our work environment multicultural, innovative and highly rewarding.
About the Role:
The Packaging Engineer will be responsible for the design, development, and commercialization of new packaging for high-speed manufacturing of confections, fruit snacks, and biscuit products. This role will also support in developing and executing the overall biscuit packaging strategy in alignment with company goals. At Ferrero, the Packaging department is critical to the success of our commercialization objectives, therefore high levels of responsibility, technical rigor, and program ownership are required for this position.
• Leads packaging development and industrialization plans for brands assigned across North America, meeting brief timings, cost, and quality requirements
• Evaluates technical and economic feasibility studies during the projects’ industrialization phase and develops new proposals to optimize industrial setup pertaining to packaging lines.
• Contributes to define project objectives (technical choices, materials, solutions) according to the local industrial reality and suppliers’ portfolio and technologies
• Optimizes existing projects and products for the assigned brand across North America, analyzing possible improvements to contribute to pipeline building and reduce complexity, and validates industrial feasibility
• Manages productivity projects across plants and brands in scope
• Manages and governs de-risking procedures and projects for assigned brands
• Analyses and validates cost estimations to support project setup from an economic point of view
• Leads implementation of project and specifications documentation, both for industrial and copacker environments
• Activates, if in his/her field of competence, and manages packaging line trials
• Represents the Packaging department during local meeting or towards external entities (suppliers) to activate programs focused on new solutions (e.g.: materials, technologies and processes).
• Ensures, through a structured governance system, an information sharing process among all the necessary stakeholders as it relates to the projects under management
• Partners with the leadership team of a major Ferrero industrial plant, representing the interests, responsibilities and voice of the Packaging development team.
Who we are looking for:
• Material science or engineering degree. Consolidated structural packaging design knowledge. Understanding of packaging line design.
• Packaging material processing specification knowledge, and knowledge of packaging machinery.
• Extensive technical knowledge and 7 to 10 years of experience working with multiple materials and processes in various distribution environments including rigid plastics, flexible materials, corrugated and paperboard packaging, labels
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• AutoCad 2D (mechanical technical drawing); ArtiosCad is a plus
• Experience with CAPE or TOPS palletization software
• MS Office (Excel, Power Point, Word)
• Experience with Innovation Management, a wide degree of creativity and latitude is required
• Ability and desire to manage an Associate Packaging Engineer
• Strength in both oral and written presentation skills are a prerequisite to success
• General knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices
• Willing to travel up to 20%
How to be successful in the role and at Ferrero:
Consumers, quality and care are at the heart of everything we do. So, to be successful at Ferrero, you’ll need to be just as consumer and product centric as we are - dedicated to crafting brilliant results for consumers around the world.