Local Agronomist USA
Job Location: Portland
Ferrero is a family-owned company with a truly progressive and global outlook and iconic brands such as Nutella®, Tic Tac®, Ferrero Rocher®, Raffaello®, Kinder Bueno® and Kinder Surprise®. As the love for our brands continues to grow, so too does our global reach. Represented in more than 50 countries, with products sold in more than 170, the Ferrero Group is loved by generations around the world. The secret to our global success? 38,767 dedicated employees who celebrate care and quality to craft a business, careers and brands we are proud of. Join us, and you could be one of them.
Ferrero is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture in which all employees feel welcomed and appreciated and have the same opportunities. We believe all of our people are equally talented in their own way. In nurturing the curiosity and natural abilities of our employees, we provide them, generation after generation, the means to succeed personally and professionally, enabling them to craft their journey at Ferrero. The diversity of our talents is what makes our work environment multicultural, innovative and highly rewarding.
About the Role:
The Local Agronomist reports managerially and professionally to the Head of the Regional OG Manager. The role has full accountability for Agricultural, Science & Research based activities related to North American market and hazelnut improvement programs. Enhancing crop productivity and quality levels, correct varietal selection and monitor the development of a sustainable hazelnut value chain are key. Working cross functionally across the country with growers, processors and industry influencers will be key to develop the value chain.
· Crop mapping (varieties, quality, development potential) and continuous market monitoring
· Locally support key players (Suppliers, OSU, Rutgers University, Nut Growers Society offices, cleaning stations, nurseries, farmers, etc.) with constant contact and information exchange.
· Regular reports and updates to be completed and shared with Luxembourg HQ (Region OG Manager, ACC)
· Strictly follow ACC guidelines enriching the activities and elaborate a strategic, long term oriented mindset reference with R&D department
· Accountable for the maintenance and enhancement of the healthy, long term existing relationships with historical stakeholders and partners in order to assist the market to promote higher quality standards. Assist the Procurement Department to improve its sourcing process facilitating its tasks through science based work and support.
· Elaborate, implement, monitor and evaluate research projects to be managed in cooperation with local institutions or international stakeholders. All R&D projects should follow ACC guidelines.
· Source in terms of importance any scientific supportive action Ferrero could participate in and presents to HQ for evaluation.
R&D & Suppliers/Growers Engagement
• Raise the awareness to investors and farmers in respect of Ferrero quality interests towards potential long term opportunities.
· Close cooperation with Ferrero R&D driving variety suitability for Ferrero in North America
· Drive and develop good working relationships with engaged stakeholders and processors in the Oregonian environment, in order to facilitate opportunities for Ferrero to confirm and secure Oregon as a high quality origin in the years to come.
SOCIAL & ENVIRONMENTAL
· Coordinate the implementation of environmental & social activities through adherence to all Ferrero codes and charters as well as ensuring GAP,GSP and GEP, carbon footprint and regenerative agriculture.
· Ensure traceability and sustainably are at the core of the North American value chain.
· Accountable for assuring compliance with Ferrero values and promoting responsible work conditions
AREA SUPERVISION & PRESENCE
· Follow Luxembourg HQ guidelines in reference to areas of main importance, where to concentrate efforts and presence.
· Promotional and PR activities in respect of Company Guidelines, events participation, public relations.
Who we are looking for:
- Bachelors degree in Agronomy or related fields, preferably with knowledge and eventual specializations in Economics. A Masters degree would be considered as an asset.
- At least five years of experience in Agronomic related businesses or Orchard Management, or similar agricultural activities.
- Experience in designing and implementing research projects and field trials.
- Excellent aptitude in communication, interpersonal relationships and leadership in a complex and sensitive environment.
- Excellent skills in working cross functionally throughout the company divisions.
- High level of proactivity and vision towards final objectives.
- Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports.
- Ability to speak at public at events and conventions to large numbers of people.
- Fluency in English, knowledge of Italian language would be considered an asset
Ferrero N.A. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
How to be successful in the role and at Ferrero:
Consumers, quality and care are at the heart of everything we do. So, to be successful at Ferrero, you’ll need to be just as consumer and product centric as we are - dedicated to crafting brilliant results for consumers around the world.