Primary Packaging Manager
Job Location: Alba
Ferrero is a family-owned company with a truly progressive and global outlook and iconic brands such as Nutella®, Tic Tac®, Ferrero Rocher®, Raffaello®, Kinder Bueno® and Kinder Surprise®. As the love for our brands continues to grow, so too does our global reach. Represented in 55 countries, with products sold in more than 170, the Ferrero Group is loved by generations around the world. The secret to our global success? Nearly 35,000 dedicated employees who celebrate care and quality to craft a business, careers and brands we are proud of. Join us, and you could be one of them.
Ferrero is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture in which all employees feel welcomed and appreciated and have the same opportunities. We believe all of our people are equally talented in their own way. In nurturing the curiosity and natural abilities of our employees, we provide them, generation after generation, the means to succeed personally and professionally, enabling them to craft their journey at Ferrero. The diversity of our talents is what makes our work environment multicultural, innovative and highly rewarding.
About the Role:
The candidate we are looking for will be responsible to:
- develop and approve all packaging material specs for Food-Contact Materials for existing and new products, across all Categories and all Ferrero plants;
- guarantee the packaging performance levels to deliver product protection from external agents/contaminants;
- guarantee food safety and regulatory compliance of all FCMs developing and implementing relevant risk mitigation plans;
- scout new technology/materials in collaboration with strategic R&D to bring competitive advantage to the Group.
- develop new materials and packaging solutions to enhance material performance (hermetic seal, improved barriers, thickness reduction, shelf-life extension, etc…) and improve the environmental sustainability profile;
- develop packaging materials, defining technical specifications, and technology studies that deliver a competitive advantage for the Company (step innovation), meet cost objectives (optimization and cost reduction maintaining equal or better performance);
- ensure that all Ferrero (including M&A) primary packaging is designed to be compliant with regulations worldwide and Ferrero policies and develop dedicated risk mitigation action plans and specific material innovation streams;
- protect knowhow and file IP for materials and technology that delivers a competitive advantage to Ferrero;
- collaborate with the Strategic R&D team, supporting project evaluation, material trials and development to implement the technology on a specific product;
- perform structural, mechanical and chemical analysis internally and/or in cooperation with external Labs to characterize the packaging materials and their performance.
PLANT SUPPORT AND SUPPLIER INTERACTION
- support plants on existing primary packaging or industrial start up as well as deployment of derisking plans;
- supplier scouting and evaluation to select the appropriate development partners;
- interaction with machine suppliers to develop innovative packaging solution material-technology.
FOOD SAFETY AND RISK MITIGATION
- expert contribution to the Product Integrity committee (Reg Affairs/Food Law/Quality/Procurement) to define Ferrero packaging requirements and policies to include in the Packaging Guidelines;
- FCM evaluation to guarantee food safety and compliance with Ferrero policies;
- risk mitigation action plan and implementation in compliance with evovling regulations;
- scouting for new active molecules and ingredients to enhance material performance incl line efficiency;
- strategic cooperation with Universities and Research Institutes and external lab network development;
- analytical protocols and design validation.
MARKET AND COMPETITOR ANALYSIS
- market and competitor analysis to monitor the main packaging innovation, trends and product launches in order to offer benchmarks and quick reaction to new competitor launches
Who we are looking for:
- Master’s degree in Food Technology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, CTF or related is required
- The ideal Candidate has already gained 8/15 years experience as Group Manager in R&D packaging in a multinational food company, with responsibility over food contact packaging materials
- Relevant experience in people management is required
- chemistry, polymer science and food technology
- main packaging material categories (plastic/paper/Alu/barriers) from up-stream to end-use
- food packaging requirements (protection, shelf life…)
- regulatory affairs and food safety for FCMs (main country legislation, DoC understanding, Specific migration…)
- packanging converting technologies and packing lines
- design of experiment (basic)
- lab analytical methods and software
The following will be considered a plus:
- packaging environmental sustainability concepts, LCA
- MS Office, SAP, LIMS, Microsoft project
- Italian; Excellent written and spoken English is mandatory
- leadership experience and proven track record to build, grow, and inspire teams and to upgrade and develop an organization via recruiting, training and performance management
- able to work under pressure and manage conflict with a professional approach
- positive and inclusive mindset towards diversity
- used to work in international environments and/or to work abroad
- well-developed business and financial management skills
- capability to act as change-catalyst leveraging external experience
How to be successful in the role and at Ferrero:
Consumers, quality and care are at the heart of everything we do. So, to be successful at Ferrero, you’ll need to be just as consumer and product centric as we are - dedicated to crafting brilliant results for consumers around the world.
Strong analytical mind, attention to details on one hand, and ability to cooperate with employees at all levels and great organisational skills on the other, would be key to success. Employee contribution and engagement at Ferrero is based on the individual, team and organisation dimension, so you should have the ability to work independently, as a part of the team and build good relations with stakeholders at all levels. Being flexible and dealing with a dynamic working environment as well as the ability to embed new knowledge and skills in existing competencies will definitely help you to become high performer here.