Biotech & Agritech Science Manager - Open Innovation
Job Location: Chicago
Ferrero is a family-owned company with a truly progressive and global outlook and iconic brands such as Nutella®, Tic Tac®, Ferrero Rocher®, Raffaello®, Kinder Bueno® and Kinder Surprise®. As the love for our brands continues to grow, so too does our global reach. Represented in more than 50 countries, with products sold in more than 170, the Ferrero Group is loved by generations around the world. The secret to our global success? 38,767 dedicated employees who celebrate care and quality to craft a business, careers and brands we are proud of. Join us, and you could be one of them.
Ferrero is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture in which all employees feel welcomed and appreciated and have the same opportunities. We believe all of our people are equally talented in their own way. In nurturing the curiosity and natural abilities of our employees, we provide them, generation after generation, the means to succeed personally and professionally, enabling them to craft their journey at Ferrero. The diversity of our talents is what makes our work environment multicultural, innovative and highly rewarding.
Ferrero N.A. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
About the Role:
This Senior role will be responsible for driving Open Innovation activities within “AgriTech and BioTech” fields for Ferrero Open Innovation (OI) in the America’s region: scouting for innovation, evaluation, business planning and project management. While the main geographic focus will be the America’s region, the Science Manager will interact with Technical experts within other functions at Ferrero and other Ferrero OI team members in Europe and Asia-Pacific. This position will report managerially to the Head of America’s Innovation Center and professionally to Global OI “AgriTech and Biotech” Stream Leader.
Continuously monitor development and progress of scientific and technological innovations within relevant opportunity areas in Agrifood technology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences:
- Lead identification and assessment of new scientific developments on food science, biotechnologies and AgriTechnology within the region
- Remain on forefront of emerging industry trends and competitor products, strategies, and activities
- Utilize technical and creative problem-solving skills to successfully translate scientific developments and internal stakeholder needs into clear opportunity and potential technical solutions
- Leverage scientific knowledge and technical expertise to evaluate effectiveness, safety, and toxicological effects of new technologies
- Conduct robust patent review and IP landscape work
Actively drive Technology scouting, evaluation and execution process of Ferrero OI within assigned focus area:
- Support OI global AgriBiotech response stream to build strategic roadmaps for Key Priority areas defined by the Leadership and combining needs and gaps from Internal stakeholders
- Scout opportunities that are relevant to Ferrero business and within key priority opportunity areas
- Evaluate and perform diligence on relevant scouting opportunities, in collaboration with other Ferrero Divisions and present selected opportunities to Ferrero OI Leadership and the Board for approval
- Actively drive execution and project management of opportunity approved by Ferrero OI Leadership and the Board in collaboration with relevant internal functions
Provide input on market innovation strategies as needed:
- Based on specific requests from internal customers and in collaboration with internal partners ( Consumer Insights, Food Trends, etc.)
- Key ally to the NA Innovation center and Strategy and Innovation teams by effectively contributing to all relevant Innovation projects
- Help build a robust internal and external network of experts and partners:
- Work effectively and flexibly within and across the organization
- Help to identify, engage and collaborate with external partner network (e.g. industry, consultants, government agencies, academia, etc.)
Who we are looking for:
- MS or PhD degree in Biotechnology, Food Science, Biology or equivalent; MBA preferred
- 5-10 years of industry experience with particular emphasis in the BioTech and Food Science space in a CPG and/or Multi-national corporation
- Ability to clearly communicate complex technical information to a variety of internal and external partners across different geographic and leadership levels in a clear manner
- Strong business acumen with superior communication, project and time management skills
- Proven ability to deliver against clear, actionable strategies and priorities
- Proven ability to work effectively on a fast pace and high-performance driven environment
- Enthusiastic, curious, proactive, analytical, open-minded and can-do attitude with a strategic mind-set
- Strong attitude to connect external and internal stakeholders toward a synergistic approach to complex innovation projects
- Self-driven and capable of dealing with unstructured and emerging environments; Critical thinking and Creative problem solving
How to be successful in the role and at Ferrero:
Consumers, quality and care are at the heart of everything we do. So, to be successful at Ferrero, you’ll need to be just as consumer and product centric as we are - dedicated to crafting brilliant results for consumers around the world.
Strong analytical mind, attention to details on one hand, and ability to cooperate with employees at all levels and great organisational skills on the other, would be key to success. Employee contribution and engagement at Ferrero is based on the individual, team and organisation dimension, so you should have the ability to work independently, as a part of the team and build good relations with stakeholders at all levels. Being flexible and dealing with a dynamic working environment as well as the ability to embed new knowledge and skills in existing competencies will definitely help you to become high performer here.