Plant Quality Manager (PQM)
Job Location: Brantford
Ferrero is a family-owned company with a truly progressive and global outlook and iconic brands such as Nutella®, Tic Tac®, Ferrero Rocher®, Raffaello®, Kinder Bueno® and Kinder Surprise®. As the love for our brands continues to grow, so too does our global reach. Represented in 55 countries, with products sold in more than 170, the Ferrero Group is loved by generations around the world. The secret to our global success? Nearly 35,000 dedicated employees who celebrate care and quality to craft a business, careers and brands we are proud of. Join us, and you could be one of them.
Ferrero is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture in which all employees feel welcomed and appreciated and have the same opportunities. We believe all of our people are equally talented in their own way. In nurturing the curiosity and natural abilities of our employees, we provide them, generation after generation, the means to succeed personally and professionally, enabling them to craft their journey at Ferrero. The diversity of our talents is what makes our work environment multicultural, innovative and highly rewarding.
About the Role:
The Brantford Plant is our largest manufacturing center in North America.
Reporting to the North America Area Quality Manager, the Plant Quality Manager will oversee the implementation of the entire Quality agenda related to the Brantford Plant, reporting managerially to the Brantford Plant Manager.
The scope of responsibility includes the application of the Ferrero regional model for escalation, definition of priorities and strategic projects, ensuring the compliance of Ferrero Canada with applicable food safety regulatory requirements, the voluntary certification schemes (FSSC22000 and ISO 9001), implementing new certifications as required by group strategy, Ferrero Global Quality Requirements and Policies, and compliance with Industry Best Practices.
This role also encompasses managing quality and food safety risks, product non-conformities and issues daily. You will be connecting with the markets for managing claims and feedbacks (consumer complaints, perceived quality, initiatives at regional level), both in relation to finished product and cocoa semi-finished shipped to other plants of the group.
In addition to the Quality agenda, this role includes managing a large team of 40 members, and developing Quality staff, managing the plant Quality budget, implementing projects and Action Plans for achieving objectives (KPIs) and driving continuous improvement through management of CAPA and in close contact with the plant Industrial excellence program (FOX).
- Accountable for the plant Food Safety and Quality Systems and ensuring it meets requirements set by regulatory authorities, certification standards FSSC 22000, and all Ferrero internal requirements for Food Safety.
- Product monitoring and quality
- Efficient and effective management of product quality at the plant, with particular attention to organoleptic aspects of the products.
- Ensuring full compliance with internal specifications, frameworks, sampling plans, external voluntary schemes and mandatory regulations in relation to products, processes and structures.
- Ensure the correct application of Ferrero Quality System, quality certifications and legal requirements in the productive process.
- Ensures the execution of the analytical sampling plan aiming at monitoring the correct application of the specifications (defined centrally) on raw materials, packaging, semi-finished and finished goods in order to guarantee, in collaboration with the respective company functions, the quality standards enablers for marketability of the products in the market.
- Facilitate the application of central standards as per SAP IPC quality control plan.
- Monitoring quality in all transformation process phases (incoming, transformation, finished product release) through sampling plans, audits and company information systems (SAP QM – IPC).
- Review performance, implement corrective actions.
- Holding all non-compliant materials (incoming materials, semi-finished and finished goods) and management of exceptions (derogations) and non-conformities, activating the escalation process according to the specific corporate procedure.
Certifications and Compliance
- Efficient and effective implementation, maintenance and application of plant Quality System according to the Policy defined by Group Quality (product excellence, food safety, ISO 9001, ISO 22000 and to similar schemes required by the Group and clients), and based on the risk analysis according to HACCP method.
- Maintains all the certifications required by the Group and clients (on quality system, product system, ethic and religion) and issues all the necessary certificates for products export and commercialization.
- Attends public authorities during investigation, controls and visits.
- Attends internal and external (certification) authorities for visits and inspections on quality, ethic and religion, hygiene topics.
Support to Production
- Provide the necessary technical support and training to production for all quality aspects, in particular, for auto-control and GMPs.
- Development of Action Plans and projects for achieving plant objectives (KPI), to support quality aspects for plant investments, to meet upcoming new requirements (legal, certification related, or group requirement related).
- Management and development of the resources of the plant quality team, with particular focus on the Four Pillars: Product, Incoming, Laboratory and System & Food Safety.
- Define the objectives and development plans adequate to each individual role.
- Ensure the collection of Quality KPIs based on Group guidelines and the monthly reporting to Region, Area, and Central Quality.
- Interactions with the markets for managing claims and feedbacks (perceived quality, initiatives at region level,..).
- Escalate and manage major and critical non-conformities according to group rules.
Who we are looking for:
We are searching for a skilled, brilliant and accountable candidate, passionate about Quality and food production, with the ability to think out-of-the-box.
The successful candidate must have the following qualities:
- Previous managerial experience (at least 10 years) as a Plant Quality Manager within the Food Quality/Food Safety perimeter with a high level of responsibilities; a strong familiarity within an industrial environment is required.
- Scientific Degree Background, Bachelors (minimum), Masters (preferred) in Food Science, Food Technology or related Natural Sciences.
- Knowledge of CFIA and FDA requirements, experience with being audited.
- Working experience in a GFSI certified environment (FSSC22000 or equivalent scheme).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills considered a strong asset
- Proven team management and leadership skills
- Strong Organizational and analysis skills
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills
How to be successful in the role and at Ferrero:
Consumers, quality and care are at the heart of everything we do. So, to be successful at Ferrero, you’ll need to be just as consumer and product centric as we are - dedicated to crafting brilliant results for consumers around the world.
- Fully company paid benefits
- 3 weeks paid vacation
- Great employer-matched pension program
- 14 weeks Parental Leave top-up
- Opportunitites for advancement
- Continuous training opportunities
- EAP Program
- Competitive wages
- Shift Premiums
- Employee events such as BBQ’s, Ice cream days, and Ferrero product give aways!
- On site cafeteria
- Free parking
- Dedicated Covid Safety Team
Ferrero Canada will accommodate the needs of applicants with disabilities throughout all stages of the selection process. If you need accommodation during the recruitment process, please advise the HR Representative. Information relating to the need for accommodation and accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.