Environmental Sustainability and Energy Specialist
Job Location: Brantford
Ferrero is a family-owned company with a truly progressive and global outlook and iconic brands such as Nutella®, Tic Tac®, Ferrero Rocher®, Raffaello®, Kinder Bueno® and Kinder Surprise®. As the love for our brands continues to grow, so too does our global reach. Represented in more than 50 countries, with products sold in more than 170, the Ferrero Group is loved by generations around the world. The secret to our global success? 38,767 dedicated employees who celebrate care and quality to craft a business, careers and brands we are proud of. Join us, and you could be one of them.
Ferrero is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture in which all employees feel welcomed and appreciated and have the same opportunities. We believe all of our people are equally talented in their own way. In nurturing the curiosity and natural abilities of our employees, we provide them, generation after generation, the means to succeed personally and professionally, enabling them to craft their journey at Ferrero. The diversity of our talents is what makes our work environment multicultural, innovative and highly rewarding.
About the Role:
As a dynamic and growing global food manufacturer, Ferrero Canada is investing in sustainable business practices to ensure we are contributing to positive impacts for the future. The role of Environmental Sustainability and Energy Specialist, in support of our overarching Sustainability Goals, will play a key role as technical support for energy, water and waste management in our manufacturing facility in Brantford.
The role of Environmental Sustainability and Energy Specialist will be responsible for data management and reporting of energy use in the plant, as well as supporting projects and initiatives that reduce the environmental impact of our operations. The role will work with cross-functional teams such as: Production, Utilities, Purchasing, Quality Assurance, as well as external stakeholders and organizations to ensure all programs and initiatives successfully operate within Ferrero Canada’s Environment and Energy management system.
We are looking for someone who is purpose-driven, highly collaborative, thrives in an everchanging and fast paced environment, and is eager to be part of a world class organization that embraces challenges and opportunities related to sustainability.
The successful candidate will proactively promote and participate in activities such as:
- Increasing sustainability culture of all levels, including technical support and training to employees
- Cooperating with relevant functions for investigating and monitoring new norms and internal standards as well as researching new technologies and non-polluting power sources.
- Coordinating the Central and Group Functions on environmental sustainability projects
Plant Energy Tracking
- Electricity, Thermal, Water, Waste KPI tracking and reporting
- Work with Production and Utilities teams to investigation into energy, water, and waste issues in the plant
Plant Energy Management
- Energy savings project identification
- Assist Engineering and Maintenance with energy savings project management activities
- Research new technologies and develop business cases
- Ensure energy efficiency is considered for plant investments
Waste Management System
- Ensure all waste (hazardous & non-hazardous) is disposed of according to established systems and regulations
- Work with Waste hauling contractor on waste disposal issues
- Manage daily waste issues in the plant with Production Team & Cleaning Team
- Identify areas for improvement in waste disposal/recycling programs
- Monitor and investigate waste water issues
Environmental Protection & Spill Response
- Coordinate spill clean up and follow-up activities.
- Work with Production Team & Cleaning Team to ensure on proper disposal of waste
- Collect and file Spill Reports & report spills in the Environment to relevant authorities
- Coordinate and complete annual waste audit & bi-annual packaging audit
- Assist with internal ISO14001 and ISO50001 audits
- Participate in external ISO14001 and ISO50001 audits
- Support the completion of audit recommendations
- Update and Deliver Sustainability training relating to waste management, energy use, and spill response.
- Deliver New Hire Orientation training
- Assist with training development for Environmental Sustainability and Energy related topics
Who we are looking for:
- Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical, Industrial, or Process Preferred)
- Strong communication skills, openness, and reliability
- Purpose-driven, highly collaborative worker
- Knowledge of engineering calculations related to energy and fuel use
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to build strong professional relationships (internal and external to company)
- General knowledge on the current state of clean energy technology
- Knowledge of sustainable business practices is considered an asset
- Fully company paid benefits
- 3 weeks paid vacation
- Great employer-matched pension program
- 16 weeks Parental Leave top-up
- Opportunities for advancement
- Continuous training opportunities
- EAP Program
- Competitive wages
- Shift Premiums
- Employee events such as BBQ’s, Ice cream days, and Ferrero product give aways!
- On site cafeteria
- Free parking
Ferrero Canada will accommodate the needs of applicants with disabilities throughout all stages of the selection process. If you need accommodation during the recruitment process, please advise the HR Representative. Information relating to the need for accommodation and accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
How to be successful in the role and at Ferrero:
Consumers, quality and care are at the heart of everything we do. So, to be successful at Ferrero, you’ll need to be just as consumer and product centric as we are - dedicated to crafting brilliant results for consumers around the world.
Strong analytical mind, attention to details on one hand, and ability to cooperate with employees at all levels and great organisational skills on the other, would be key to success. Employee contribution and engagement at Ferrero is based on the individual, team and organisation dimension, so you should have the ability to work independently, as a part of the team and build good relations with stakeholders at all levels. Being flexible and dealing with a dynamic working environment as well as the ability to embed new knowledge and skills in existing competencies will definitely help you to become high performer here.