Quality Lab Supervisor
Job Location: Franklin Park, IL, US
Ferrero is a family-owned company with a truly progressive and global outlook and iconic brands such as Nutella®, Tic Tac®, Ferrero Rocher®, Raffaello®, Kinder Bueno® and Kinder Surprise®. As the love for our brands continues to grow, so too does our global reach. Represented in 55 countries, with products sold in more than 170, the Ferrero Group is loved by generations around the world. The secret to our global success? Nearly 35,000 dedicated employees who celebrate care and quality to craft a business, careers and brands we are proud of. Join us, and you could be one of them.
Ferrero is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture in which all employees feel welcomed and appreciated and have the same opportunities. We believe all of our people are equally talented in their own way. In nurturing the curiosity and natural abilities of our employees, we provide them, generation after generation, the means to succeed personally and professionally, enabling them to craft their journey at Ferrero. The diversity of our talents is what makes our work environment multicultural, innovative and highly rewarding.
About the Role:
This position is located in Franklin Park (Chicago), one of the major Ferrero plant acquired in North America with 700+ employees producing iconic products: Butterfinger, Baby Ruth and Nips. The Quality Lab Supervisor is a key functional and management position in the Ferrero Quality Organization and is in charge of managing the laboratory executing microbiological, chemical, physical and sensorial analysis. The scope includes incoming materials (raw materials and packaging), semi-finished, finished products and environmental testing.
This position reports directly to the Head of Quality, manages a team of 6 members, and is actively involved in cross functional work with Production, R&D/Technology and Corporate Central Quality Laboratory located in Europe. This is a key role in the current transition of the plant to the Ferrero standards: a new Laboratory and new analytical equipment and methodology are introduced under the management of this position.
Laboratory Development and Management
- Contributes to the definition of analytical strategy, in collaboration with the Plant Quality Manager and Central Laboratory
- Propose new equipment, new methodologies and manages the budget associated
- Manages outsourced analysis and is the key contact for external labs
- Ensure that Good Laboratories Practices are met, propose continuous improvement
- Act as a coach and provide technical support in implementing new methodology or trouble shooting
- Ensure that Safety Programs are in place
- Key member of the Food Safety Team
Incoming Raw materials and Packaging Management
- Manage the schedule and program of the Laboratory to ensure that analysis are executed efficiently and in a timely manner
- Organize, coordinates and manages the sampling program defined
- Review the analytical results and provide interpretation
- Based on the interpretation oversees the release the materials by his/her team and issue Non-Conformance in Incoming
- Provide trend analysis to the Quality Manager with recommendation
- Guarantees the correct quality of the results (precision, accuracy) according to regulations and give evidence participating to Ring Test
- Responsible for managing the status of the stock (hold, released and in inspection)
- Management of her/his team to ensure that all activities are performed accurately and on time
- Ensure that all team members are trained on related procedures and operate in compliance with the work instructions and procedures
- Organize work schedule and priorities of her/his team
- Manage the yearly performance evaluation of direct reports
- Manage the development of each team member
Who we are looking for:
- B.Sc Degree in Microbiology and/or Chemistry, Food Science preferred, or other related field
- Minimum 4 years in a Quality Lab Supervisor/Manager role in a plant in food industry.
- Familiar with Food safety systems, quality systems.
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices.
- Knowledge and experience in Root Cause Analysis
- Quality Assurance experience in a food manufacturing environment
- Experience of GFSI standards (FSSC 22000, SQF, BRC) required, Quality Standard ISO17025 is a plus.
- People Management experience required.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Good knowledge and practice of laboratory analysis
- Proficient in computer systems, data analysis, and Microsoft Office, etc.
- Proficiency in SAP is an added advantage.
How to be successful in the role and at Ferrero:
Consumers, quality and care are at the heart of everything we do. So, to be successful at Ferrero, you’ll need to be just as consumer and product centric as we are - dedicated to crafting brilliant results for consumers around the world.
Ferrero N.A. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.