Food and Regulatory Counsel
Job Location: Parsippany
Ferrero is a family-owned company with a truly progressive and global outlook and iconic brands such as Nutella®, Tic Tac®, Ferrero Rocher®, Raffaello®, Kinder Bueno® and Kinder Surprise®. As the love for our brands continues to grow, so too does our global reach. Represented in more than 50 countries, with products sold in more than 170, the Ferrero Group is loved by generations around the world. The secret to our global success? 38,767 dedicated employees who celebrate care and quality to craft a business, careers and brands we are proud of. Join us, and you could be one of them.
Ferrero is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture in which all employees feel welcomed and appreciated and have the same opportunities. We believe all of our people are equally talented in their own way. In nurturing the curiosity and natural abilities of our employees, we provide them, generation after generation, the means to succeed personally and professionally, enabling them to craft their journey at Ferrero. The diversity of our talents is what makes our work environment multicultural, innovative and highly rewarding.
About the Role:
The Food Regulatory Risk & Compliance Manager will focus on business generated by recent and future company acquisitions in the United States. You will report managerially to the Area Counsel of North America and functionally to the Area International Food Law Manager of International & North America. You will interact with the North America Area Legal team, R&D, Raw Materials and Quality (Manufacturing, Processing, Warehousing, Distribution), Category Marketing Units, Institutional Affairs & Corporate Communications, Human Resources and Development, Senior Management, outside attorneys and consultants, academic specialists, and U.S. Industry Associations.
- Provide legal guidance pertaining to applicable U.S. Federal & State acts and regulations in coordination with the general counsel office, the Food Law Manager and the outside lawyers as necessary
- Interact with the in-house general counsel office and the outside lawyers and implement legal advice practically throughout the company operations based in the United States regarding U.S. Federal & State acts and regulations
- Management and mitigation of regulatory risk by ensuring compliance with applicable acts and regulations identified, while supporting business objectives
- Achieve system-wide, facility and operation specific compliance objectives through execution of compliance initiatives, education, training, internal review, auditing and monitoring, corrective action, and policy and procedure development
- Review of existing food product labelling specifications for compliance with identified applicable external acts and regulations. Preparation, development, and management of labelling specifications for future product developments
- Review of existing and planned operations in the area of food claims and advertising elements including but not limited to packaging materials, TV media, digital media and any other media available to food product marketing for compliance with identified applicable external acts and regulations
- Review of existing and planned operations company-wide in the U.S. for compliance at the business and operational level with identified applicable external acts and regulations
- Provide input regarding the impact of regulatory requirements and feasibility assessments, in conjunction with the general counsel office, the Food Law Manager and the outside lawyers where necessary, for proposed new product development projects
- Assist manufacturing plants, warehousing, and transportation with implementation of compliance procedures to meet identified applicable requirements
- Spotlight areas of risk stemming from non-compliant operations, provide procedures for oversight and accountability
- Design and maintain practical compliance programs and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to meet identified compliance requirements
- Develop training, education, and supervision of corporate employees at all levels to promote full internal compliance with identified regulatory and legal requirements, prevent non-compliance and plan for contingent corrective action in the event remediation is needed
- Communicate with external regulatory consultants, academic specialists, and representatives from relevant U.S. industry associations to stay informed of relevant trends
- Serve as a leader and develop strong relationships to promote a hands-on collaborative approach to proactive compliance
- Participate in global assessments with the central Food Law & Regulatory teams in Luxembourg headquarters by providing input on the operational and practical impact of U.S. Federal, State, and international regulation of the food industry.
Who we are looking for:
- U.S. Law Degree and bar admission in New Jersey or ability to obtain NJ Limited License
- Advanced degree. At minimum, a Master’s degree in food management, industrial regulation or related field. Ph.D. preferred
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years of experience in the field of food law and regulations
- Strong background in regulatory compliance and framework within an industrial setting in the U.S.
- Professional experience with confectionery or pre-packaged food regulatory issues
- Experience with preparation of management information reports
- Preferred knowledge of U.S., E.U. and Canadian food laws & regulations
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft operating system
- Ability to establish working relationships with individuals and teams both inside and outside of the company
- Ability to train others and transfer knowledge to others
- Orientation towards process improvement and understanding of the importance of regulatory compliance across all levels of operations
Ferrero N.A. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
How to be successful in the role and at Ferrero:
Consumers, quality and care are at the heart of everything we do. So, to be successful at Ferrero, you’ll need to be just as consumer and product centric as we are - dedicated to crafting brilliant results for consumers around the world.