Product Development Scientist
Job Location: Chicago
Ferrero is a family-owned company with a truly progressive and global outlook and iconic brands such as Nutella®, Tic Tac®, Ferrero Rocher®, Raffaello®, Kinder Bueno® and Kinder Surprise®. As the love for our brands continues to grow, so too does our global reach. Represented in more than 50 countries, with products sold in more than 170, the Ferrero Group is loved by generations around the world. The secret to our global success? 38,767 dedicated employees who celebrate care and quality to craft a business, careers and brands we are proud of. Join us, and you could be one of them.
Ferrero is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture in which all employees feel welcomed and appreciated and have the same opportunities. We believe all of our people are equally talented in their own way. In nurturing the curiosity and natural abilities of our employees, we provide them, generation after generation, the means to succeed personally and professionally, enabling them to craft their journey at Ferrero. The diversity of our talents is what makes our work environment multicultural, innovative and highly rewarding.
About the Role:
This newly created role will be responsible for working in a fast-paced R&D Product Development focused on the development of Sweet Packaged Foods (SPF) (i.e. spreads, confectionary, sweet baked goods, and ice cream products). The individual will support the timely and efficient execution of all laboratory tests and will propose solutions to improve the performance of new and existing ingredient, semifinished and finished products.
- Supports the timely and efficient execution of all product development activities (concept/formula development, testing, and validation from benchtop to full commercial scale, etc.) supporting the creative decision-making product development and validation process
- Conduct activities related to the improvement (i.e. stability, cost, procurement, processing) of ingredients and semi-finished products to improve the organoleptic and food structure of the relevant finished product. Proposes solutions aimed at improving product-related aspects (quality, technology, sensorial, etc.)
- Conducts a data-driven research and product development process with the appropriate record-keeping and statistical validation process
- Supports the evolution of new laboratory equipment and capabilities
- Develops a good understanding of business needs, competitive intelligence, and white space opportunities to drive breakthrough products and solutions across our SPF categories
- Is a key ally and works closely with the rest of the Innovation Center team (Open Innovation, Raw Materials R&D, Food Trends, and Market Specialist teams) to ideate, develop, and test new products
Who we are looking for:
B.Sc. degree in Food Science, Food/Chemical Engineering, Culinary Science, or related discipline
- Experience in Food and/or Beverage CPGs in Product Development roles and/or related food science, product innovation roles (preferred but not indispensable)
- Good understanding of ingredient science, functionality, formulation, sensory evaluation, shelf-life tasting, scale-up, commercialization
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with a solid strategic mindset
- Creative, enthusiastic, curious, proactive, collaborative, analytical, with strong communication skills and with a can-do attitude
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint
- Occasional lifting may be required (<=25 kg)
Ferrero N.A. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics
How to be successful in the role and at Ferrero:
Consumers, quality and care are at the heart of everything we do. So, to be successful at Ferrero, you’ll need to be just as consumer and product centric as we are - dedicated to crafting brilliant results for consumers around the world.
Strong analytical mind, attention to details on one hand, and ability to cooperate with employees at all levels and great organisational skills on the other, would be key to success. Employee contribution and engagement at Ferrero is based on the individual, team and organisation dimension, so you should have the ability to work independently, as a part of the team and build good relations with stakeholders at all levels. Being flexible and dealing with a dynamic working environment as well as the ability to embed new knowledge and skills in existing competencies will definitely help you to become high performer here.