Senior Manager, Trade & Commerce, Institutional Affairs
Job Location: Washington
Ferrero is a family-owned company with a truly progressive and global outlook and iconic brands such as Nutella®, Tic Tac®, Ferrero Rocher®, Raffaello®, Kinder Bueno® and Kinder Surprise®. As the love for our brands continues to grow, so too does our global reach. Represented in more than 50 countries, with products sold in more than 170, the Ferrero Group is loved by generations around the world. The secret to our global success? 38,767 dedicated employees who celebrate care and quality to craft a business, careers and brands we are proud of. Join us, and you could be one of them.
Ferrero is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture in which all employees feel welcomed and appreciated and have the same opportunities. We believe all of our people are equally talented in their own way. In nurturing the curiosity and natural abilities of our employees, we provide them, generation after generation, the means to succeed personally and professionally, enabling them to craft their journey at Ferrero. The diversity of our talents is what makes our work environment multicultural, innovative and highly rewarding.
Ferrero N.A. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
About the Role:
Reporting to the Vice President of Institutional Affairs, Ferrero USA, the Senior Manager of Trade & Commerce will serve as the principal policy representative and advocate for the company on trade, tax, labor, supply chain and other commerce-related matters, including toy safety, before federal, state and local governments.
The Senior Manager will establish and maintain close working relationships with relevant internal stakeholders in the United States and with the central office in Europe and serve as the Ferrero representative for these matters with key national and state trade associations, coalitions and other partnership organizations.
As a member of the DC-based Ferrero team, the Senior Manager will participate actively and collaboratively in all Ferrero-sponsored events and trade association activities in Washington, DC and throughout the United States.
- Under the direction of Vice President of Institutional Affairs, USA, establish and maintain interactions with public officials as well as with other institutions directly and through associations and other organizations on issues of interest to the United States.
- Liaise with federal and state agencies responsible for trade, commerce, labor and economic policies including, but not limited to, US Departments of Treasury, Commerce and Labor, US Trade Representative and other related agencies.
- Develop an expertise in our toy production process and extensive safety protocols while building relationships with relevant experts and stakeholders in the toy industry as well as regulatory bodies including the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and safety and standards setting bodies such as ASTM, ICPHSO.
- Support Vice President of Institutional Affairs, USA, to establish and manage effective external and government communication strategies throughout the Group in order to protect and promote the interest of the company, developing and maintaining public trust and cooperation.
- Serve as the principal policy/issue expert on government policies related to food and general business taxes, international trade, labor and pension issues, economic policy and toy safety.
- Serve as a Ferrero representative on relevant policy and technical committees of trade association allies (GMA, NCA, NAM, Toy Association), international alliances (ICC, USCIB) and other groups as needed.
- Support relationship building with confectionery industry colleagues and, more generally, CPG industry colleagues; as well as general business groups, trade alliances and third-party tax organizations.
- Support Ferrero’s global outreach and engagement efforts related to commerce and trade, which includes establishing and maintaining relevant policy contacts at the US Missions to the UN, WTO, and OECD.
- Establish and maintain relationships and dialogue internally to help inform Ferrero’s strategy and positioning on key issues in portfolio.
Who we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, political science, international affairs. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as legislative staff, department/agency staff or in a trade association or corporate government relations role; CPG industry experience preferred.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of trade, tax, commerce, supply chain, privacy, economic and related matters. Toy safety a plus.
- A confident advocate who can build rapport and engage collaboratively with international, federal, state and local public officials and staff.
- Strong public speaking skills, and an ability to clearly articulate Ferrero’s position on specific topics; an ability to influence persuasively at all levels.
- Ability to write well-organized, clear and compelling policy documents, advocacy pieces, background papers, briefing books and talking points.
- Ability to travel.
How to be successful in the role and at Ferrero:
Consumers, quality and care are at the heart of everything we do. So, to be successful at Ferrero, you’ll need to be just as consumer and product centric as we are - dedicated to crafting brilliant results for consumers around the world.