Quality Lab Analyst (Chemist)
Job Location: Bloomington
Ferrero is a family-owned company with a truly progressive and global outlook and iconic brands such as Nutella®, Tic Tac®, Ferrero Rocher®, Raffaello®, Kinder Bueno® and Kinder Surprise®. As the love for our brands continues to grow, so too does our global reach. Represented in 55 countries, with products sold in more than 170, the Ferrero Group is loved by generations around the world. The secret to our global success? Nearly 35,000 dedicated employees who celebrate care and quality to craft a business, careers and brands we are proud of. Join us, and you could be one of them.
Ferrero is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture in which all employees feel welcomed and appreciated and have the same opportunities. We believe all of our people are equally talented in their own way. In nurturing the curiosity and natural abilities of our employees, we provide them, generation after generation, the means to succeed personally and professionally, enabling them to craft their journey at Ferrero. The diversity of our talents is what makes our work environment multicultural, innovative and highly rewarding.
About the Role:
This position is located in Illinois, where Ferrero acquired the plant of Bloomington. The company just added and investment of $75M to expand the plant.
The person in this role will coordinate factory’s Chemical and Physical monitoring program for finished product, raw material and packaging materials. Work in close coordination with the rest of the Quality team but also with plant Operations and Supply Chain to ensure all materials in inbound, semi-finished In Process Controls and Finished Products for outbound are complaints towards Ferrero Food Safety and Quality Standard.
- Under the guidance of the Laboratory Supervisor, ensure that all chemical-physical methods meet compliance requirements. Also responsible for Chemical/physical and Packaging laboratory operation regarding Good Laboratory Practices, including equipment monitoring and calibration as well as media preparation and biohazard disposal.
- Evaluate, develop, implement, and maintain testing procedures and programs. Secure all appropriate documentation and/or follow-up as required. Maintain internal control protocols by record keeping, troubleshooting, and escalation of know issues.
- Perform chemical-physical testing in the laboratory and work to develop new assays for in-house testing.
- Interpret chemical-physical data generated both internally and by third party testing facilities. Report data and trends to appropriate personnel. Initiate appropriate follow-up actions to data utilizing internal sources.
- Troubleshoot all testing/sampling abnormalities to ensure proper results are reported. Initiate proper guidelines for corrective/preventative action immediately.
- Investigate product holds for chemical-physical reasons and make recommendations for appropriate actions based on scientific findings and/or company procedures.
- Provide support to the facility to facilitate the implementation, maintenance and audit of procedures and good manufacturing practices (GMP).
- Perform daily plant inspections and manage the facilities raw material, packaging and finished product testing program. Analyze results to ensure they are sound for Production and Corporate Quality.
- Document and report abnormalities based on company polices, assist in investigation and remedy of any found abnormalities.
- Actively support and participate in facility’s Total Quality effort; including Quality Policy and factory objectives.
- Provide support to the facility’s continuous improvement program.
- Continuously strive to improve customer/supplier relationships and business processes.
- Participate as a key member of plant HACCP and Food Safety team.
- Responsible to have safe work instructions available for all positions, processes are run in accordance with SOP’s, SOPP’s and other documentation. All employees have the required level of safety training, all equipment and installations are well maintained with safety guards & devices and associates are using the appropriate PPE.
- To assure activities being performed having an environmental impact are communicated and accomplished according to the environmental management systems.
Who we are looking for:
- B.S. Degree in Chemistry
- Advanced knowledge of chemical-physical lab procedures
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and HARPC strongly preferred
- 3 years progressive experience in a Chemical laboratory Environment (unless education and practice in University are higher than the minimum required above)
- Food manufacturing experience highly preferred
- Microbiology experience is an asset
How to be successful in the role and at Ferrero:
Consumers, quality and care are at the heart of everything we do. So, to be successful at Ferrero, you’ll need to be just as consumer and product centric as we are - dedicated to crafting brilliant results for consumers around the world.